William Anderson Cooper: Surname Saturday

William Anderson Cooper (was the husband of my great-grand aunt). Born 19 May 1860 in Marion County, Iowa to William Riley Cooper (1832-1905) & Cynthia Evaline McGee (1838-1887).

Photo's of William were posted on Ancestry, I do not know the original poster of these images if I did I would site them as my source, but many tree have these images in them and all have different originally posted by with them, so I am just going to post them as is. Although a Paul Shaw seems to of posted most of these.


In 1890 he was in the Rusk Penitentiary, Cherokee, Texas, USA
(This might not be him, but I am pretty sure it is).


Name William Anderson Cooper
Gender Male
Rank Private
Role Veteran
Residence Date Jun 1890
Residence Place Rusk Penitentiary, Cherokee, Texas, USA
Enumeration District Special
Enlistment Date Jun 1863
Discharge Date Aug 1865
Regiment or vessel 3 North Carolina Inf
Company F
Length of Service 2 Yrs 2 Mos

Here's a short video









He married Hattie Elizabeth Whiting (1870-1948) 14 Mar 1900 in Dallas, Iowa. Photo below



By the 1910 census he was living in Oklahoma, 1920 in Canton and later in Guymon.

He was a farmer and a member of the United Brethren Church at Hardesty, OK with Paster Rev. J. W. Chapman.

They had two children
Lucy Eveline Cooper
1906–1987
Frank Fredrick Cooper
1909–1972


1936 there was a newspaper article that says there was a foreclosure on their property. here's the link to that article.

The Great Depression was from 1929-1939 and could of been the cause of this.

The 1940 census has them living in Range, OK, they are renting a home. This is where they were in the 1900 census, I couldn't find them in the 1930 census.

It seems he was married before he married Hattie, to Ludah Ethel Garrison (1866–1933) married 02 Aug 1888 • White Oak Township, Warren Co., IA They had to of divorced or he was committing bigamy or maybe she thought he died in prison. But I didn't find any records. She was a dressmaker and at some point in her life according to her death certificate she lived in Chicago, IL but died in Washington, IA from a brain bleed (Stroke). She married H. E. Melgrin. She's buried in the Shaver Cemetery in Liberty, Iowa.

William died 16 Dec 1940 (my birthday, minus the year, lol) in Guymon, OK
He was laid out at the Swain Funeral Home and buried at the Hartville Cemetery in Hardesty. With his wife



Here is the link to his obituary

Interesting man, I wonder why he was a prisoner of war. I guess I will have to dig deeper, which means off grid no internet, old school phone calls and letters to find more records.

Give me a follow and thank you for stopping by.






Comments

  1. It's the misbehavers who are the more interesting ones. LOL! This one is very interesting, indeed. Was he a prisoner of war? That seems odd -- discharged in 1865, yet in prison in 1890? Did I read that right? Seems to me he might have been in prison for a non-military matter, as it is so many years after the end of the Civil War. Odd also because he was in a Confederate unit, and imprisoned in Texas, also a Confederate state. Yes, this one is intriguing, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I yes I believe I posted that he was in a prison, I am sure that was the case. Thank you so much for your comment. I agree it is intriguing.

      Delete

Post a Comment