Aaron Guard Cloud: Merchant with a Now Famous House: Those Places Thursday

Aaron Gaurd Cloud

BIRTH ABT 1819 Lawrenceburg, Dearborn, Indiana, USA
DEATH 27 APR 1893 McLeansboro, Hamilton, Illinois, USA

He was the Uncle of wife of my 1st cousin 3x removed


photo can be found at the following link



Front and southern side of the Aaron G. Cloud House, located at 164 S. Washington Street in McLeansboro, Illinois, United States. Built in 1882, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.


Photo from Wikipedia here's the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_G._Cloud_House



AARON G. CLOUD

FROM: The History of Gallatin, Saline, Hamilton, Franklin, and Williamson Counties, Illinois (Chicago: Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1887).  P. 685

        Aaron G. Cloud was born in Dearborn County, Ind., November 1, 1818, the son of William C. and Elizabeth (Guard) Cloud, natives, respectively, of Kentucky and Indiana. The family came to Illinois in 1832, and located on a farm in Gallatin County, where the father died in February, 1844. Our subject was reared on a farm and secured as good an education as was given to youths in that day in the country. When twenty-three he went to Hardin County, Ill., and acted as bookkeeper and financial manager of The Illinois Furnace for five years. He then began mercantile business in his native county at Lawrenceburg, Ind., and with success until September, 1852, when he engaged in the same at McLeansboro until 1876. During his business career he was involuntarily drawn into the real estate business to protect his interests, so that to-day he is one of the largest land owners in southern Illinois. Since 1876 he has done a general loan business on real estate securities with a just reputation for honesty and integrity in his transactions. November 23, 1843, he married Eleanor H. McCoy, a native of Hardin County, Ill. She died December 24, 1886, leaving two children: Chalon G., a banker at McLeansboro, and Mary E., wife of Chalon G. McCoy. Mr. Cloud is a Democrat.

I also found some newspaper articles:


Nashville Journal
Nashville, Illinois • 
Thu, Feb 10, 1870
Page 2


The Evansville Journal
Evansville, Indiana · Wednesday, March 29, 1882



He was Married to Amanda Hayden 26th of Aug 1946 in Kentucky. As far as I can tell they had the following children. I am still researching there may be more. He might have had other wives as well, I will update this blog as I finish my research. I live in Illinois so that will help me get records I can not get online faster. I also want to go to his house which is no a library and check it out.


Pendleton Braxton Cloud
1846–1924

Kisiah Cloud
1849–

Martha Cloud
1851–

Hayden Cloud
1855–

1850 census has him living in Lawrenceburg, Dearborn, Indiana, USA, as a merchant. 1860 he's living in Logan, Dearborn, Indiana as a laborer and no wife.  In 1870 he is back as a merchant living in Mcleansboro, Hamilton, Illinois with a women as his wife named Eleanor as a merchant. In 1880 he is now a land dealer (real-estate broker) in the same place.

He bought a horse carriage according to his tax records, for $75. The source for this record below and found on Ancestry. I found a lot of tax records for him.

U.S., IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862-1918 for Aaron G Cloud
Illinois
District 11; Annual, Monthly and Special Lists; Sept. 1862-Feb 1863

Aaron died 27 Apr 1893 in  McLeansboro, IL

Aaron is buried in the Odd Fellows Cemetery in McLeansboro, IL



This was posted on Ancestry by John Stromberger originally shared this on 26 Jul 2015


I know there's more to this man to be found and I will have to get my game on and go find out and when I do I will update this blog post. I need to know who he was not just his name and some dates. There is very little online about him.

This is why genealogy is so much fun. please give me a follow and see my Criminal Genealogy Blog as well. I have Podcast and YouTube channel as well. Thank you ever so much for stopping by.



Comments

  1. Interesting research! Do you know why the man was put on trial?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment