Hugh Montgomerie 7th Earl of Eglinton

Hugh Montgomerie was my 9th Great Grandfather on  my Maternal side. He was born 30 Mar 1613 East Lothian, Scotland at the Seton Palace. Below are two pictures of the castle and a picture of their church.




Hugh was the son of Alexander Montgomerie & Anne Livingstone. He married first Anne Hamilton she died soon after the birth of their only child a daughter Anne Montgomerie.

 An inventory was made of her jewels on 24 October 1632, including a jeweled feather set with diamonds, a gift from her mother Ann Cunningham, Marchioness of Hamilton. Anna Montgomerie married James Ogilvie, 3rd Earl of Findlater.

He married again in 1635 to Lady Mary Leslie, daughter of John Leslie, 6th Earl of Rothes, and had the following children.

Francis Montgomerie of Giffen
1645–1728
Lady Anne Montgomerie
Lady Eleanor Montgomerie
Lady Mary Montgomerie
Lady Christina Montgomerie
Lady Margaret Montgomerie

He opposed Charles I's ecclesiastical policy. He was a colonel under Leslie at the Battle of Newburn. He failed to seize Tynemouth in 1640. He was engaged in northern campaign under Middleton in 1646. He was defeated by Huntly at the Battle of Aberdeen (1646), He was disqualified for public service until 1660 for being accessory to the Engagement. He was taken prisoner in 1651 by the English and excepted from Cromwell's Act of Grace in 1654.

Hugh Montgomerie became Earl of Eglinton in January 1661 following the death of his father. He died at Eglinton in February 1669.

From Dictionary of National Biography, Volumes 1-22. I found the following Biography for Hugh.





I love finding and reading all the fascinating things about our ancestors and how they lived, what they stood for and believed in. It really doesn't matter if they were an Earl, a King, a peasant, or even a criminal which we do have, I embrace them all and add all my findings on my tree. I am blessed to have had a Great Aunt who gave me her research to continue and I know she is smiling from the Heavens saying at a girl.


 



Comments