Tuesday Tip: Write It Down!

Over the last few weeks I have been working on my genealogy and organizing my Family Tree program. There was an update about a year ago the wiped out some branches of my tree. I always back it up but I can not find it anywhere. So I basically started all over, UGH.

I decided to download Rootsmagic and have two programs plus 2 online trees. One on Ancestry and one on Familysearch.org.

As I have been doing this huge undertaking, I am very thankful I had printed out most of my family on family group sheet and pedigree charts and filed them in file folders and put in plastic filing totes (The hugh one's). 





I am learning to add sources to my program in the Note feature  but I am also keeping a 3 ring binder with dividers for each surname. And a pedigree chart.

I honestly think it was easier doing genealogy by mail. Yes I am old school and I remember sitting and writing 20 letters a week for documents and records for my family history. There nothing more exciting than seeing the mail lady bringing up a pile of letters you know are about your ancestors. 

Although I can copy and past sources easier than writing it all down. I find it's still worth while to keep a notebook.

I started send data sheets once a year to family members to add children and grandchildren and marriage & divorce information. 



I keep my Family Data Sheets in here but it's getting full


 I am an organizing freak LOL But it pays off in the long run.
So make sure you always write it down.
Please share your organizing ideas. 







Comments