1880 • Monroe, Green, Wisconsin, USA
The Jacob Karlan block, built in 1893 on the north side of Monroe Street. The Karlan block was erected on the site of the old United States Hotel, adjoining First National Bank. The old frame hotel building was divided into two sections: one portion moved to the north on Payne (9th) Street and was used as a livery stable for many years; the other section moved a half-mile to the west and was faced with brick to become a residence. The latter section of building is now on Russell (10th) Street and is the home of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Maurer (1973). Jacob Karlan Sr., pioneer cheesemaker and Monroe cheese dealer, erected his business block as an investment and housed his cheese firm offices in a portion of it. The first floor corner section was formerly occupied by the famed Headquarters Saloon for 50 years. The block was razed in 1954 to make way for the new First National building. Karlan had also built an annex to his block for his cheese operations. This unit, connected by a tunnel, was razed in the 1960's.
|Photo taken by Jenean Hamilton|
Plot: Row 1/2 Block 24 Lot 47
Created by: Cynthia Claytonroberts
Record added: May 15, 2013
Find A Grave Memorial# 110614254