My Illinois Connections

The history of Illinois may be defined by several broad historical periods, namely, the pre-Columbian period, the era of European exploration and colonization, its development as part of the American frontier, and finally, its growth into one of the most populous and economically powerful states of the United States.

The first Europeans to visit Illinois were the French explorers Louis Jolliet andJacques Marquette in 1673, but the region was ceded to Britain after the French and Indian War. After the American Revolution, Illinois became a territory of the United States and achieved statehood in 1818.

Before Illinois became a State, it was known as the Illinois Territory. In early 1818, the General Assembly of the Illinois Territory sent a petition to the United States Congress asking to be admitted into the Union. Part of the process for being admitted as a State was for Illinois to adopt its own constitution.

The First European Settlement in Illinois. Father Jacques Marquette and Louis Jolliet explored the shores of Peoria. Robert Cavalier Sieur de LaSalle and Henri de Tonti constructed Fort Crevecoeur on the east bank of the Illinois River.

The Territory of Illinois was an organized incorporated territory of the United States that existed from March 1, 1809, until December 3, 1818, when the southern portion of the territory was admitted to the Union as the State of Illinois.

I have 190 ancestors who have lived in this state.
I shall only mention some of them. Starting in Alphabetical order.

BRIEF HISTORY OF PECATONICA. The name Pecatonica can be traced to the Indian word "peeketolika", meaning "crooked river". Early settlers first arrived in the area in 1835. The first settlement was about 2 miles southeast of town. It is located in Winnebago County.

Albert Anders husband of sister-in-law to my 1st great aunt, (on my father's side)

Was born in Pecatonica on 7 Dec 1872 and died here on 25 Jul 1964. He was married to Anna Dierks who came from Germany and died here on 03 Nov 1965, they had 5 children all born in this village. 


Albert Anders & Anna Dierks wedding pic


Here's some photo's of where they lived

Pecatonica now

Pecatonica then


My mom and I visited this cute village and I must tell you it was well worth it. It is adorable and the cemetery monuments are the most unique I have ever seen.

I have many relatives from here

The Kubbernus has family buried here 










Sparta, Illinois is in Randolph County


"This house in Eden (Randolph County) was believed to be one stop on the Underground Railroad." 




My Baird line and some of the Couch's lived here early part of the 1800's


Prudence Gibson is buried here she was married to James Baird who was born 1782 in Abbeville, SC
In 1820 they lived in Plumb Creek, IL In this county.
He was my 4th great grandfather on my mother's side.

Archibald Alexander Thompson was born here in this county in 1826 & died here in 1905 he was the husband of my 3rd great aunt on my mother's side. 
Hugh Porter Couch was born here and died in Sparta
Born 01 Sep 1844 and died on 10 Apr 1914 he was married to Margaret Ann Peterson. His first wife my ancestor Amanda Jane Cox died shortly after giving birth to their son John. Hugh was my 3rd great uncle on my mom's side.


John Lively born in 1765 in Virginia came to Illinois in the early 1800's His family was massacred by Indians. He is buried in Sparta. Living to be 71 years old.

The Lively massacre occurred in 1813, when a group of Native Americans killed John Lively, his wife, Mary Jane, and most of their children in an area now known as Washington County, Illinois. Reported survivors included an eight-year-old daughter who was staying with another family during the time of the attack and possibly a son who may have been away on a hunting trip or out herding cattle.

You can read up on this at this site http://genealogytrails.com/ill/washington/cems/covi/livelyspring.html
I will do a blog dedicated to this with more information.


Other Illinois places:


Clarence  Cipperley was born 1882 in La Salle, Illinois, USA
Although he left the area and went to Canada as an adult.
He was the uncle of a husband to my aunt.


My Heath line on my father's side has a few that ventured away from Wisconsin to Illinois such as did Earl Heath who died Sep 1986 in Rockford, Winnebago, Illinois



Carol Wilbert Crocker lived in Rockford in 1944, although he was working for the Chicago & NW Railroad Company at the time and moved to Florida in later years where he died.


His wife was born here in 1913 Ruth Elizabeth Schwartz


Clifford Whiting Jackson died here in 1942, I do not have much information on him but he is from my dad's side of the tree.

My first cousin 3x removed on my dad's side died 05 Apr 1942 here she was Elizabeth Edith Whiting was married twice  and had 3 children. Very elegant lady.






She outlived both husbands. 


Well out 190 ancestors here are only a few that lived in this state. Hope you enjoyed my blog this time around. Until next time, God bless.


Comments