Gordon Everett Heald born 20 Jun 1885 in Kansas. He married Henrietta Becker born 1888 in Kansas City, MO
|Gordon Everett Heald|
Michael Gordon Held born 2 Apr 1855 Richfield, Washington, Wisconsin, married Mary A. born May 1857 in Ohio.
Johann Michael Held born 4 Mar 1824 Koengneheim, Kreuz Oppenheim, Hesse Damstadt, Germany, died 27 Jul 1879 in Sullivan, Jefferson, Wisconsin, burial St. John's Lutheran Church Cemetery.
He married Philippine Schneider she was born 4 Apr 1820 in Breitenheim, Rheinland-Pfalz, died 18 Feb 1908 in Larkin, Barton, Kansas.
By 1870 Michael owned and operated a mill in the Town of Sullivan, Jefferson County, Wisconsin known as Heath Mills. The mill site today offers no clues that a mill ever existed. In about 1868 Michael partnered with William Kumrow and bought a grist and saw mill in the Town of Sullivan, Jefferson County, Wisconsin for $17,000. There is evidence that there were platted plans for a community name variously as Heath Mills, Heathburg and Erfurt. But something happened that dimished the propects for success, maybe the water supply for the was compromised as the values dropped substantially. Michael in 1873 purchased his partner's half of the mill for $7,500. One year before Michael's death in 1879 he sold half interest in the mill to two of his sons, Jacob and Michael Held, Jr. for $8,000. In June of 1879 Michael and his wife sold a portion of a 170 acre plot to William C. Holz of Milwaukee for $1,500 excempting about the 70 acres he sold to his sons..
1. In October 1868 in which Michael Held and his partner William Kumrow purchased a grist mill and land from the Zastrow family for $17,000. The site description contains numerous details in which measurements are in chains and links, even referring to "a large wile oak tree" at one point..
2. In January 1870 Michael Held bought lots two and three block 3 in the village of Sullivan for $1 from Gottlieb Zastrow (one of the sellers of the grist mill in 1868)..
3. In January 1870 Michael Held and his wife Philippine sold a parcel of land in the village of Sulliva (lots two and three in block 3) for $155 to Henriette Scheuber..
4. In February 1873 Michael Held purchased one-half of the grist mill he owned jointly with William Kumrow and his wife for $7,500. The transaction included the buildings, land and tools of the "grist and saw mill". The seller retained "the right to use the house and stables up until the firt day of June next"..
5. In January 1878 (one year before the death of Michael in 1879) Michael and Philippine Held sold a portion of the mill, land and tools to two sons, Jacob Held and Michael Gordon Held for $8,000..
6. In June 1879 Michael and his wife sold a portion of a 170 acre plot to William C. Holz (husband to his daughter Christine) of Milwaukee for $1,500 excempting about 70 acres he sold to his son (No. 5 above)..
John Michael Held came to the USA with his parents and siblings, arriving in NY 12 June 1843 from Havre, France. According to the 1905 church obituary of his younger brother Adam Held the family settled first in Mequon, Wisconsin before moving to Richfield, Wisconsin. Sometime between their arrival in the USA and 1848 the father Joh. Ernst Held died. By 1850 his widow Maria Held nee Bucher bought some land in Richfield near other Held relatives, also from Kongernhein, Germany and the entire family moved to Richfield. Somehow the family didn't get counted in the 1850 federal census as the author has carefully checked all names in the towns of Mequon, Richfield, and even Germantown. In 1860 Michael Held and his family are farming in the Town of Richfield, Washington County, Wisconsin. Michael's father Johann Ernst Held was listed as a miller on Michael's baptimal record. By 1870 Michael owned and operated a mill in the Town of Sullivan, Jefferson County, Wisconsin known as Heath Mills. The mill site today offers no clues that a mill ever existed. In about 1868 Michael partnered with William Kumrow (sic) and bought a grist and saw mill in the Town of Sullivan, Jefferson County, Wisconsin for $17000. Michael in 1873 purchased his partner's half of the mill for $7500. One year before Michael's death in 1879 he sold half interest in the mill to two of his sons, Jacob and Michael jr. Held for $8000. In June, 1879 Michael and his wife sold a portion of a 170 acre plot to William C. Holtz of Milwaukee for $1500 excempting about 70 acres he sold to his sons (No. 5 above). In February, 1880 son Michael Held jr. of Barton County Kansas sells his portion of the jointly held real estate to his brother Jacob Held for $2000 about 70 acres of land and buildings. Both brothers are listed as living in Barton County, Kansas at the time. Michael Held was buried in 1879 in St. John's Lutheran Church cemetery Golden Lake / Sullivan. His stone was visible when the cemetery was surveyed in 1985, no longer exists in 2007. His death is recorded in the church books for 1879.
Parents of Johann Michael Held:
Johann Ernst Held born 4 Nov 1784 in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, died 1844 Meqoun, Washington, Wisconsin. He married Anna Marie Bucher born 10 Mar 1796 Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, died 1 Jan 1880 in Erin, Washington, WI.
Anna Maria Bucher Held - Dreams to Tragedy
Anna Maria Bucher was the second wife of master miller Joh. Ernst Held of Köngernheim in Hessen, Darmstadt, Germany. On June 12, 1843 she sailed from La Havre, France on the Francois, with her husband and six children to America. Upon arrival in New York, the family made their way to Wisconsin where they settled first in Mequon, a township in Washington County just north of Milwaukee. The attraction for her husband, a miller by trade, was probably one of a series of newly constructed grist mills on the Milwaukee River, up river from the new city of Milwaukee. One mill was owned and operated by another German immigrant John Thien on the Milwaukee River at what is now known as Thiensville.
Johann Ernst Held Parents:
Johann Ernst Held born 4 May 1757 in Rhineland, Germany, married Maia Anna Nauth born 2 Aug 1757 in Rhineland, Germany.
Johann Ernst Held Parents:
Johann Philipp Held born 1730 in Rhineland, Germany, died 10 Oct 1783 in Rhineland, Germany, married Anna Christina Best, she was born 29 Jun 1730 in Rhineland, Germany, died 8 May 1760 in Rhineland, Germany.
Johann Philipp Held's parents:
Johan Ernst Held born 1709 Rhineland, Germany, died 5 July 1772 Rhineland, Germany, Married Anna who died 30 Jun 1769 in Rhineland, Germany.
Johan Ernst Held Parents were:
Johann Balthazar Held born 15 Sep 1679 in Schwarzwald-Baar-Kreis Baden-Wuttemberg, Germany, died 10 Oct 1759 in Mainz-Bingon, Rhineland. Married Anna Maria.