Beginner's Beginning's

My advice to beginners would be to invest in the Family Tree Maker software, available at Wal-Mart, Staples, Office Depot and so on.


Next subscribe to ancestry.com, On this website you can download and print out charts and forms you will need to start with. They also have classes you can learn from to get started.

 Then I would get hanging files and number them according to your pedigree chart. For instance you would be number one, your dad number two, your mom number three and so on. Use these number for easy acess. Also get regular file folders to put into the hanging folders. I use these to keep my notes in and my internet logs, correspondence logs and list of websites I have looked up information on. Then I use colored file folders for the children of that person and number them with my main chart number and the birth order they are in, for example, my dad Donald Kubberness is #2 so the file I would hhave for my brother would be #2-3 because he was the 3rd child born to this family.




Next I keep index cards alaphibetically by last name in the left hand corner like this Kubberness, Donald then I put his chart number in the right hand corner, I also have colored ones for his children number like I mentioned earlier. On these index cards I keep all the records I have gathered and their source. Example: 1930 Census Record Kingsbury County, S.D.>ancestory.com


If it's a photo I will put what the photo is and who gave it me.


This will help to keep your family history organized and help you from searching for the same things twice, I had to learn the hard way.


I will have more for you next week, good luck in your hunt.



Comments