John Babcock Sr. My 10th Great-Grandfather on my Paternal Side

John Babcock was born 1644 in Portsmouth, Rhode Island to James David Babcock & Sarah Vose Brown. He married Mary Elizabeth Lawton (1646-1711). 


John Babcock Sr.



They had the following children:
George M Babcock 1673-1756
Elihu Babcock 
Olivier Babcock 1683-1773
Ann Babcock
Job Babcock 
John Babcock
James Babcock
Robert Babcock
Joseph Babcock
Mary Bobcock

When King Philip's War broke out in July 1675, Rhode Island, largely owing to the influence of the Quaker element, took little part in it. John went to Connecticut and enlisted in the militia of Stonington, CT. He took part in the Great Swamp Fight.

Here's a newspaper article I found about this battle.


Here's a short video




He was made a freeman of the Colony of Connecticut on 14 May 1676. After the war he went back to Rhode Island, where he was a Conservator of the Peace for Westerly in 1682 and again in 1684. 

John died 31 Dec 1684 in Westerly, Rhode Island.
He is buried in the James Babcock Ground Cemetery in Westerly, with his wife and children.

His wife did remarry to Erasmus Babbitt, She died 8 Nov 1711 in Westerly.

John's will was made by town council 26 May 1685. The council found out that his son James made a "Agreement" with his mother that she was to have half the real estate, which would of otherwise gone to him by law of primogeniture. This agreement was accepted by the council. The rest of the estate which amounted to 790 in current silver of New England and was the largest estate on recorded in that town for many years. It included a black boy, 2 Native American men and girls, them being captives sold into slavery. The estate also included 329 oxen, horses, cows, sheep and so on. Of this moveable estate the widow received 263 (I think it's Lera? not sure)
nine children were to have 57 as they come to age.

I am so proud of the war heroes in my tree, but sad that the slave history had happened. I tried to be respectful by using today's language and not what they would of call people back then. I have black sons-in-law and 9 out of my 10 grandchildren are black so this is very important to me, I want them to be proud of their Nana as I am of them.

Thank you for stopping by, please click the follow button and feel free to leave a comment. 




















Comments